As summer enters its final month, fair season is fast approaching in many communities on both sides of the Cascades. Senate Republican Leader Mark Schoesler, R-Ritzville, encourages the public to support Washington’s agricultural community by attending one or more fairs in the coming weeks.
Schoesler, a fifth-generation wheat farmer whose land has been farmed by his family since the 1880s, says fairs play an important role in many rural communities and help educate attendees about agriculture’s importance in eastern Washington and throughout the state.
“Fairs are very educational and really provide a showcase for all that is great about farming and our rural communities,” Schoesler said. “They are a great annual tradition for all ages, and they are a perfect place to take the family.
“When you go to a fair, you see firsthand what farmers raise, from crops to livestock and other animals. Fairs provide a great place to see old friends and meet new ones, and to sample many different kinds of tasty food that you only find at a fair. Fair season is upon us, so I encourage people to attend their local fair or one nearby,” Schoesler added.
According to the Washington State Fairs Association, several area fairs are set to start in the coming weeks:
- Benton/Franklin Fair & Rodeo, Aug. 20-24 (Kennewick)
- Lincoln County Fair, Aug. 22-25 (Davenport)
- Clayton Community Fair, Aug. 23-25 (Clayton)
- Walla Walla Fair & Frontier Days, Aug. 28-Sept. 1 (Walla Walla)
- Wheat Land Communities Fair, Aug. 29-Sept. 1 (Ritzville)
- Columbia County Fair, Sept. 5-8 (Dayton)
- Palouse Empire Fair, Sept. 5-8 (Colfax)
- Spokane County Interstate Fair, Sept. 6-15 (Spokane Valley)
- Othello Fair, Sept. 11-14 (Othello)
- Columbia Basin Junior Livestock Show, Sept. 12-14 (Connell)
- Garfield County Fair, Sept. 13-15 (Pomeroy)
- Central Washington State Fair, Sept. 20-29 (Yakima)
- S.E. Spokane County Fair, Sept. 20-22 (Rockford)
Schoesler represents the 9th Legislative District, which covers all or part of Adams, Asotin, Franklin, Garfield, Spokane and Whitman counties.